Tuesday, May 22, 2012

In the Kitchen - Slow Cooker Pork Chops

Making supper.  I love the idea of cooking, but usually I'm so tired by supper time that my interest in cooking has faded.  Plus it's like some magic time that signals meltdowns in children, or neediness.   My oldest son isn't so difficult to distract at that time, because helping with supper is something he enjoys doing.  Buy my one year old is "done" by then.  Seems to be regardless of whether or not I have given a snack, or set him up with something fun to do, he's just not that happy.  And of course, the baby usually needs to be nursed, or changed or cuddled...  So yes, while I like the idea of cooking, I'm usually pulling my hair out by supper time.

I hear many people saying the slow cooker is their best friend for this reason.  I have been known to make use of it, especially when working full time.  I tend to stick to sauces, soups, stews, roasts...the usual.  After a long weekend of hot weather and yummy barbeque, thanks so my husband, I decided to try a different slow cooker meal today.  

I had taken boneless pork chops and wanted something saucy.  With the help of this recipe, this is what I came up with.



Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Broccoli and Carrots on Rice
Adapted from: allrecipes.com

In the slow cooker mix:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 cloves chopped garlic
pepper to taste

Place the boneless pork chops in the sauce and put on low for about 3 hours.  (This really depends on how thick your chops are.  Mine were thin.  Add time for thicker chops.)

An hour before serving, toss in 1 cup of broccoli and 1 cup of carrots.

Serve with rice.


My family seemed to enjoy it.  It's a simple, easy meal with lots of flavour.  I think the sauce would also pair well with chicken.


While you're here, go like my Facebook page!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Didn't know you had this page. Very nice and the recipe sounds yummy. Grandma

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!